Thursday, July 7, 2011

Golden Rule Shuts Its Doors July 31st

It is with much sadness that I announce Golden Rule's era on E.Burnside is coming to a close. Bummer dude! Why am I the only person that shops here?! I will miss running the shop on Thursday, blasting Julee Cruise and Cocteau Twins, and talking people's ears off about the merits of the Pet Shop Boys (its weird how many people have never heard the song West End Girls before meeting me). Mostly I will miss all the great additions to my wardrobe, but I guess I have racked up enough of those to last lifetime. I'm pretty much just playing dress up the entire time I'm there, so needless to say I have bought A LOT of clothes in my few months of volunteering at Golden Rule.

For those of you who haven't yet heard of Golden Rule, lemme give you the breakdown. Last year our creative director Wynde Dyer opened Golden Rule to honor the passing of her mother who left dear Wynde a 17 foot U-Haul filled with clothing and other treasures dating back to the Victorian Era. To cope with the vast amounts of clothing at her disposal, Wynde comes up with an awesome new theme and completely transforms the space each month. With a new theme comes new clothes on the racks and new artwork on the walls. Yes art on the walls, because Golden Rule not only functions as a retail space but also as a gallery space. Could it get any better? I think not!

The theme this month is "White Magic", featuring photography by Lahaina Alcantara. Come see it by July 31 (my birthday! for my present I want you to come check out Golden Rule!). I didn't think I would end up buying tons of stuff this month because I'm really messy and can't wear white without promptly staining it other colors, but lo and behold, I bought tons of stuff AGAIN.

Rosanne's couch? A doily? I think this coat is nothing short of an eleganza extravaganza!
A crocheted leather top?! WTF!
That dress was not doing this top justice. Don't worry Mom, I got a cami so I won't have to wear this with my bra showing.
Some neat objects.
These drawers are full of fun objects too.
Another darling doily.
Some cool antlers and stuff.
Why don't you fit me gold shoes?
THE MOOSE IS LOOSE!
In love with this slip/nightie thing.
Some brass unicorns with scary eyes and really phallic 'corn horns. And extremely magical waterfall tails.
Aloe plants in handmade pots next to my sweet new eel skin purse. I know, real skin, kinda gross! Whatever, its vintage!
I can't say no to a nice silk shirt.
The shirt looks better in the other pic but this photo has superior composition, no?


After July, Golden Rule will begin its new incarnation at Wynde's house. To keep up to speed on new developments (like e-commerce) or find out whats going on at the new space, go to goldenruleportland.com. Make sure to click on the blog part and check out the lookbooks.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    Your haul looks really great.
    If you don't mind please share it with our fashion haul community.
    www.chichaul.com

    Hope to see you around there!
    xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete