Monday, August 29, 2011

Do Yourself A Favor, Read Role Models

John Water's latest book Role Models is a real screamer. I'm so glad I randomly found it today at the library in the "Lucky Day/Hot Book" section by the checkout counter. A lucky day indeed! This book had me howling and choking with its hilarity. So why am I writing about it on my fashion blog you may wonder. No, I am not trying to make this blog like Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle queef-a-thon GOOP.

The reason is there is chapter about John's fave fashion designer Rei Kawakubo, the genius beast behind Comme des Garcons. This chapter also has some highly relatable stories about thrift store treasure hunting, and outfit choices being the leading cause of fights with parents. The ladder was on my mind anyway because I'm packing to go see my parents in Las Vegas later this week, and no matter how hard I try, I never cease to horrify and outrage them with my outfit choices. For some reason when I try to look conservative, I only make it worse. I wonder, will reading Role Models help me edit my suitcase or fuel the outfit insanity fire? Only time will tell. Anyway, you should hella read this book. Oh yeah, in the Rei Kawakubo chapter, John also explains how he gets his signature mustache to look like that--AMAZING. Here's some pictures.


Role Models launch party at the Comme de Garcons store in London.
I don't know for sure if this look John is flossing is Comme des Garcons or not, but its pretty amazing, right? Dude, is that seersucker? Those circle things look like radioactive olives and that collar..., is that crocheted? Woah. Fantastic. Pictured with the reason my heart beats--Matthew.
In my fantasy world where I am I gay man, I am wearing this jacket.
Other pant bottoms tacked onto flood pants?
Two different coat fronts (and lengths).
Gothy goth.
Five outfits in one!
Looks like she wrapped herself up in the scarf rack at the Thrift Center in Santa Cruz. Don't get me wrong, they have some great scarves there, and its always 50% off. WHAAAAAAT!?
Comme des Garcons for H&M.

Also, I dare you to go to the Comme des Garcons website and try to look at any actual clothes. I think its just a trippy art/Ai WeiWei slideshow. http://www.comme-des-garcons.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment